Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Apple Tart

This is one of those tried and true recipes that has been in our family for as long as I can remember. I remember my oma making it, my mom still makes it quite often, and I like to make it for the family too. It is quite simple -- especially if you have the apples peeled and chopped already (like I did for this recipe). I often double or even triple the recipe, but the recipe as follows is for one 8" or 9" tart.

Filling:

4 sliced apples peeled (about 4-5 cups)
1 cup sugar
2 Tbsp flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl until apples are nice and evenly coated.

Crust:

1 cup flour
1/4 tsp salt
2 Tbsp sugar
1/2 cup butter
1 Tbsp vinegar

Stir together dry ingredients. Cut in butter until it forms nice crumbs and then add in the vinegar. The vinegar will help it stick together nicely. Pat crust into pie plate/ Pour apple mixture over top and bake at 400 degrees F until nicely browned about 30 minutes.

 Sugar and spice! (My apples are really brown because they're thawed from the freezer.)

 All stirred up!

 The dry ingredients for the crust.

 Sifted together...
 
 Butter is added....
 
 Nice and crumbly.
 
 Then a nice ball after the vinegar is added.

 Pat gently into the pie plate.

Nicely patted into the pie plates.
 
Somehow I forgot to take a photo pre-baking, but I'm sure you know how to dump your apples into a pie plate. :o)
 
All done! By the way, these freeze really well!
 
Please note: I doubled the recipe in these photographs. The recipe as written will only make one tart. It's a great way to use up those less than pretty apples wrinkling in the refrigerator. Enjoy!

No comments: